History of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Along the general area of Long Bay, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, was initially inhabited by the Waccamaw Indians. They used the river for any easy way to both travel and fish. A barrier island along Long Bay, Waties Island, has evidence of shell and burial mounds. The first settlers along Long Bay arrived in the late 1700's with the intent of expanding the plantation system to the Atlantic Ocean. Large quantities of indigo and tobacco were produced brought mix results when harvest time came around. The coast's soil was sandy and most crops yielded less than superior quality.
Prior to the American Revolution, Myrtle Beaches desired Grand Strand was still uninhabited. The Withers family received land grants along the coast. The Withers family remained one of the main Myrtle Beach settlers until 1822, when a hurricane swept the Withers house into the ocean, and killing 18 people inside. This tragedy along with the pool farm land lead the Withers family to abandon their plots along the eastern coast and the area begin to return to forest. After the Civil War, a railroad was built to help connect the eastern United States. It was those workers of the railroad company that would take the train flatcars down to the beach on their days off and they became the first true tourists in the area. In 1900, the Seaside Inn was built to handle the visitors from the railroad. It was at that time, F.G. Burroughs suggested honoring the local abundant shrub, and calling the area Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.